1900/01: Wind of Change

Appearances & Goals

  A G A G   A G
Andrew Bell 1         1
John Binnie 2 1
William Brown 2
James Campbell 2
William Charters 1
James Clark 1 1 2
Thomas Cochrane 1
Robert Dodds 2
Thomas Leddy 2
William McFarlane 1 1
Alex Ogilvie 1 1
James Ord 2 1
George Patterson 2 1
John Renwick 1 2 1
Tommy Smith 2
Number of players used: 15


Date C V Opposition Res i
Sep 29 F H Duns L 0-4
Oct 6 F A KOSB Depot L 1-5
Nov 17 F H North Sunderland W 5-1
24 NMC 1 H Alnwick St James' D 1-1
Dec 1 NMC 1R A Alnwick St James' D 1-1
8 NMC 1R2 Alnwick St James'
15 NMC 2 A Tweedside Albion L 0-2
29 F A Eyemouth United L 1-3
Jan 5 F A Duns W 1-0
Feb 9 F A Coldstream W 6-1
23 F A North Sunderland W 3-1
Mar 16 SFC 1 A Tweedside Albion L 1-4

Competition Results

At a meeting called in August, to consider the club's future, it was unanimously agreed to wind-up the business. It was felt that having won the North Northumberland League the previous season without losing a single match, there was little point in playing on without more suitable competition.

However, by early September the wind of change had swept through the town and, at another meeting held in the Three Tuns Inn, it was decided that the club should be re-floated. The meeting was composed mainly of young men who were willing to play, along with several old Rangers players who also made known their intention of donning the colours again. It was agreed that a strong committee be selected to make the club a success and a new club secretary, Mr William Hogg, who had had previous experience with Amble Blue Star, was appointed.

Berwick Rangers, along with the other clubs in the borough, declined the invitation to take part in the North Northumberland League setup, leaving only the Northumberland Minor Cup and meaningless friendly matches for another season - not what the paying public wanted.

The club did not renew their interest in Shielfield as they thought that it was outwith their territory and that the Berwick public would not travel so far. The club applied to the Cricket Club in hope of securing again their old portion of the Pier Field, but the application was turned down due to possible damage to the field. Rangers were offered the use of the pitch used by the Grammar School, but it was well known that they would not attract the crowds expected being so far out of town.

Mr. Robert Russell of the Union Hotel, Bridge End, Tweedmouth, came to the Rangers' rescue when he offered the use of his field behind, and negotiations to lease the field were quickly made. The new ground was to be appropriately named Union Park. It was a good ten minutes' walk nearer than Shielfield and as near to Berwick as possible. It was fully expected that matches would draw a bigger attendance and the club was in a hurry to get the pitch ready in time for their opening match. Willington Athletic had offered their services, but the club reluctantly declined. Duns were to be the first visitors and were regarded a tough enough nut to crack.


29. Visitors to the match against Duns were surprised to find Union Park drawn blank. The match had been billed for Mr. Russell's field, but he had gone back on his word, and an alternative venue had to be quickly found. Mr. Marshall of Tweedmouth Town Farm came to the club's rescue again when he allowed the match to take place on his enclosure, the Meadow Field, further up the road and recently vacated by Tweedside Albion, who were the new tenants of Shielfield. Eventually the teams kicked off and Rangers opened with a strong wind in their favour. They had more than their share of the attack but made little of their opportunities. As half-time approached, Duns took the lead when one of the brothers Cowe scored from close range. On the cross over, Duns did not have the same breeze as the Rangers, but it was more an advantage than otherwise. Duns were by far the better team throughout and rattled in a further three goals without reply.


6. Berwick Rangers fared little better the following week when they were beaten 5-1, under a severe downfall of rain on The Stanks, by the KOSB Depot team.


17. The continuing damp and dismal weather did not stop Berwick Rangers from recording their first victory of the season when North Sunderland visited the Meadow Field.  A resounding 5-1 victory put the Rangers in the right frame of mind for their forthcoming Northumberland Minor Cup tie against Alnwick St James'.

24. In the draw for the Northern Division of the Northumberland Minor Cup, Berwick Rangers were drawn at home in the first round against Alnwick St James'. There was a free gate for the match, which led to the unruly element of the Tweedside Albion supporters entering the ground, who were intent on abusing the Rangers' players for daring to continue to play on their side of the water. The match was fought in traditional cup-tie style, but there was not an abundance of football. Alnwick turned out a heavy team and a good one at that, but Rangers were strong enough to earn a one-all draw.


1. It was difficult to raise a team to undertake the journey for the replay at Victoria Park. The match itself had created a lot of gossip in the football circles, and the general opinion was that Rangers would bite the dust. However, the score remained the same and a second replay was required to separate the sides.

8. Rangers won against Alnwick in the second replay (result unknown). 15. Berwick Rangers faced Tweedside Albion in the next round of the Minor Cup at Shielfield. Another classic cup battle was anticipated, and the locals turned out in force to watch. Albion started with the wind behind them and took a two-goal lead but after the interval and with the elements now in their favour, it was expected that Rangers would reap the benefit, but they failed to press home their advantage and Tweedside Albion won on account of their first half lead.

29. A loss of form saw the first-ever meeting between Eyemouth United and Berwick Rangers result in a win for the Fishermen by three goals to one.


5. Berwick Rangers played the better football against Duns and deservedly took the lead. Duns fought back strongly after the break, but a combination of solid Berwick defending and poor finishing by the home side gave Rangers a single-goal victory.


9. Goals were more plentiful when Berwick Rangers visited Home Park with Rangers hitting Coldstream for six. The game was a very one-sided affair throughout, although the home side did manage a late consolation to make the scoreline a bit more respectable.

23. In a return friendly at North Sunderland, Rangers took the lead against the run of play after Renwick caught the home side out with a quick breakaway. Within a minute, however, the score was level when Temple beat McFarlane with a cleverly worked header. The home side kept up the pressure and were unlucky not to secure a half-time lead after hitting the woodwork twice. However, Rangers scored twice more through Clark after the interval to secure a hard-fought win.


16. On a high after a three-match unbeaten run, scoring ten goals and conceding only two, Rangers were brought back to earth with a bump when they were beaten 4-1 in the opening round of the Shielfield Cup by local rivals Tweedside Albion. A large police presence was required at the match due to rumours of trouble between the Albion and Rangers' supporters, who were both thirsting for revenge. To make matters worse, failure to progress further in the competition brought an uneventful season to a premature end for Berwick Rangers.