1891/92: Minor Success

Appearances & Goals

  A G   A G
William Attridge 1
Andrew Bell 1
Alex Black 6 1   14 2
George Bryson 4 5   16 9
James Callen 1
Colin Campbell 7 1   18 5
James Campbell 3 2 1
John Carr 1 1   2
Gordon 1
James Hastie 5 13
Tom Hope 7 14
Nicholas John 1
Rupert King 2 2
Tom Mackins 7 10 1
Alex Manuel 3 5
James Manuel 7 8   10 5
John Manuel 4 3   9 1
John McFarlane 1 2
William McFarlane 6 3   16 9
William McLean 6 9
Francis McTeer 10 2
James Miller 1
Alex Murphy 1
Richard Murphy 7 8   11 10
Thomas S Nicholson 1
William Redfearn 1
Robert Rhind 7 1   18 4
Alexander Shaw 6
George Shiel 3 1
Richard Simpson 5 1
William Slack 1
Richard Tait 2
Andrew Wallace 3 3   4 1
Richard Whalley 3
Number of players used: 34


Date C V Opposition Res i
Sep 3 F A KOSB Depot W 5-2
5 F A Shielfield Athletic W 3-2
12 F A KOSB Depot W 5-3
19 F A KOSB Depot W 7-4
Oct 3 F H Science & Art L 2-4
10 F H Willington Athletic L 3-5
17 F A Duns W 4-2
31 F H Shielfield Athletic W 11-0
Nov 7 F A Alnwick WMC W 5-0
14 F H Blyth L 2-4
Dec 5 F H East Linton W 4-0
12 F H Duns W 4-1
19 F H North Eastern W 7-0
26 F A Kelso W 4-3
Jan 1 F H Leith Rangers W 6-1
2 F H Edinburgh Caledonia W 5-1
16 NMC 1 H Broomhill Rovers W 11-2
30 NMC 2 H North Eastern W 5-2
Feb 13 F A East Linton W 7-1
20 NMC 3 H Burradon Athletic W 7-1
27 F H Trafalgar L 3-4
Mar 12 F H Newcastle West End Reserves W 7-5
19 NMC SF A Alnwick WMC W 3-1
26 F H Science & Art W 3-0
Apr 2 F A Blyth L 0-4
9 NMC SFR A Alnwick WMC L 2-3
15 F A Willington Athletic L 1-4
16 NMC SFR2 A Alnwick WMC W 3-2
18 NMC F A Godfrey W 6-2
23 F A Newcastle West End Reserves L 1-5
30 F A Dock View Harriers W 3-2

Competition Results

A general meeting held in the Masonic Hall on Church Street on August 24th opened proceedings for the new season. On the agenda was the on-going discussion of enclosing the windswept ground at the Pier Field. Attempts to relocate to the south side of the river and play on Shielfield had been knocked back with the formation of the Shielfield Athletic Football Club from the ashes of the Tweedside Wanderers and Seaside Rovers, who had ceased to exist. An enclosure was felt an absolute necessity, with the sum of £30 required to furnish it. It was hoped that a dozen gates would pay for it, and the net result would be that popular clubs could be paid for their visits. The other side of the question was too bleak to contemplate – an open field, a few spectators, little gate money and no play.


3. The first of three warm-up matches against the KOSB Depot on The Stanks saw Rangers win 5-2.

5. Berwick Rangers took on Shielfield Athletic, who turned out in their colours of green tops and white shorts, at Shielfield. Difficult weather conditions saw a poor crowd turn out to watch the closely fought match. The home side had the upper hand in the first half, with Bryson scoring their first-ever competitive goal after 15 minutes. However, Rangers soon levelled when the efforts of Redfearn and Wallace provided the opening for McFarlane to score. Rangers edged the second half, but their shooting was erratic. After a host of missed chances, McFarlane put Berwick in front midway through the half and added a third with time running out. The home side pulled a goal back in the final minute, but it was nothing more than a consolation effort.

12. A second meeting with the KOSB Depot team on the Stanks ended with a slightly narrower scoreline, but only by a single goal, and still in favour of the Rangers.

19. The same elevens met for the third time. Rangers yet again had the better of the exchanges, in a match that became decidedly rough toward the end. So much so that the game was occasionally stopped as fights broke out with grudges, grown over the last few weeks, settled off the ball.


3. Rutherford College team, the Science & Art from Newcastle, were the first visitors to the newly enclosed Pier Field. The ground was intended to be fully enclosed with canvas sheeting but, due to high winds, only one side of the ground was covered. The enclosure, however, did not have the desired effect. Spectators pulled down the top of the sheeting for an unrestricted view and, as the game progressed, many of them slipped into the ground for free. The visitors showed the early pace, but Rangers were equal to it for a while. After 20 minutes' play, the Students took the lead and, two minutes later, they doubled their tally following a poorly defended corner. Shiel pulled a goal back, but the visitors restored their two-goal lead just before the interval. A solid defensive display on the restart kept the Rangers out, and the Students notched a fourth on 55 minutes after which point there was only one team in it. James Campbell scored a late second for Berwick, and the game finished 4-2 to the Students.

10. A crowd of 1600 turned out to witness the visit of last season's Northumberland Minor Cup rivals Willington Athletic, proving the value of an enclosure. Willington fielded a much-improved team, and the game was played hard and fast. Rangers showed the early form with Bryson opening the scoring after ten minutes' play. Willington, however, had their turn and Graham beat Shaw to level matters. Just before the interval, McLean put Rangers back in the lead. Not long after the change of ends the visitors showed their superiority when Baxter scored following a corner and within minutes Woodman notched a third with a neat shot to put the visitors in front. Rangers were not to be outdone, however, and McFarlane levelled with a superb shot. The pace was now beginning to tell on both sides, but the visitors fared best. A goal by Fox edged Willington in front, and Graham made sure of victory when he dispossessed Bryson before running on to beat Shaw with a low shot.

17. Duns were unlucky to lose a friendly against the visiting Rangers, who won courtesy of two late goals from McLean. Cameron put Duns ahead only a few minutes from the start following a free kick. On the half-hour, Simpson levelled the score from a corner, and a minute later McTeer added a second to give Rangers a 2-1 interval lead. McLean added a third goal for Berwick on the hour before Cameron crossed neatly for Learmonth to score the home team's second. However, a few minutes from the end McLean found another opening and sent in Rangers' fourth.

31. Local rivalry was killed off in the return match with Shielfield Athletic at the Pier Field. Rangers were at full strength whereas the visitors were lacking two of their ablest players and totally outclassed from beginning to end. From a Murphy cross, McTeer had little difficulty in opening the scoring. McTeer then turned provider for McLean to add number two. Bryson added number three from a rebound after McLean had struck the woodwork. McFarlane made it four at the interval after Bryson's long run and cross down the left provided the opening. Shortly after the change of ends, McLean scored a fifth, and five minutes later Bryson notched a sixth. Black, who had swapped places upfront with McFarlane, got the seventh with a stinging shot and scored number eight with a shot of a similar nature. Numbers nine and ten were recorded by Murphy and with darkness falling Campbell made it eleven at which point the game was cut short with ten minutes remaining.


7. Flushed with their success, Rangers travelled to Alnwick a week later and returned with resounding 5-0 victory over the Working Men's Club. It was down to good goalkeeping and a sheer luck that the Rangers failed to add further to their tally. Play was even until Campbell opened the scoring on 15 minutes. Rangers then began to press, and McFarlane bundled both ball and keeper over the line to double the advantage just before half-time. On the restart, Alnwick hit the woodwork before McFarlane raced upfield to add number three. Campbell then sent a perfect cross into the goalmouth from which McLean notched the fourth and Rhind wrapped things up with a fifth.

14. Stronger opposition came Rangers' way with the visit of Blyth to the Pier Field; however, the teams were more evenly matched than the scoreline suggested. Rangers pressed hard throughout the game, but the Blyth defence averted the danger with relative ease. The visitors were quick off the mark and took the lead with only five minutes on the clock. Bryson hit the woodwork as Rangers fought back, but Blyth hit them on the break to double their lead. McLean pulled a goal back following a corner before the visitors scored again just before half-time. Rangers reshuffled their line-up at the start of the second half and within three minutes Bryson centred neatly for McLean to score a second. Berwick pressed hard for the equaliser, forcing several corners in the process, before Makin's slip up allowed the Blyth forwards to breakaway and register a fourth after which they soaked up any pressure and played time out.


5. Berwick Rangers were not at full strength for the visit of East Linton. The team was bolstered up with the inclusion of a few reserves, as several first teamers had gone to Wooler to assist the second team. Rangers opened the scoring after only ten minutes and quickly added a second. The visitors showed little imagination, with keeper Hope having little to do, and two more goals in the second half were enough to end the dour encounter.

12. Berwick Rangers played to form against a stubborn Duns team at Shielfield in a game played over two half hours. After a first half that ended at a goal apiece, a smart run down the left was well centred from which McFarlane put Berwick back in the lead with his second of the match. A minute later, Bryson scored with a tremendous shot from the wing to make it game over. The visitors tried hard to reduce the deficit before James Manuel scored a late fourth in the dying minutes.

19. Berwick Rangers had their annual visit from the North Eastern club on December 19th. Despite the scoreline, the visitors' goalkeeper was their most outstanding man of the match, especially at a low shot, and the seven goals he missed were on account of his height, which was well below the standard required.

26. Boxing Day saw Berwick Rangers visit Springwood Park, Kelso. The home side attacked from the kick-off and were soon two goals ahead. Rangers replied strongly and peppered the home goal with shot after shot, but they had to contend with a partial referee and an unruly crowd blowing penny whistles. At full time, Rangers had put through seven goals and Kelso another two, but the game still finished a 4-3 win for Berwick after some "questionable" decisions by the referee.


1. Berwick Rangers decided against defending their hold of the Shielfield Cup and hosted a New Year's Day friendly match at the Pier Field against Leith Rangers instead. There was a good attendance, and the pitch was in fair condition. Leith played with the wind at their backs during the first half, but they displayed "holiday form," and Rangers made the most of their superiority, scoring four goals without reply before the interval, and twice more after, to win a very one-sided game 6-1.

2. The following day Rangers secured a 5-1 victory over another Edinburgh junior team - Edinburgh Caledonia. The game was played hard and fast from the start. A corner in the 10th minute resulted in Rangers taking an early lead through Bryson. Caledonia fought back and levelled ten minutes later when Hope was given a fierce shot to stop, which he did, but slipped in doing so and before he could rid himself of the ball he was bundled through the goal. In the second half, Rangers laid siege to the visitors' goal, gradually wearing them down, and added a further four goals to their tally through Rhind, Bryson and two from McFarlane.

16. In the first round of the Northumberland Minor Cup, Broomhill Rovers were swept aside in arctic conditions on the Pier Field as Rangers kept their feet best to complete a demolition job. Hat tricks were scored by George Bryson and second eleven player Andrew "Banzar" Wallace. Rangers held the upper hand from the start, forcing several corners in quick succession. Campbell volleyed home the first goal and Bryson doubled the advantage soon after. Bryson added his second and Berwick's third after some neat footwork and Wallace did likewise a few minutes later to make it four. Broomhill raised their game a little and beat Hope in the home goal to open their account, but John Manual restored Rangers' four-goal advantage just before half-time. Berwick outclassed the visitors throughout the second half, and the goal count began to rise rapidly. Wallace finished off a neat run with a sixth and from a Campbell free kick Murphy scored the seventh. Bryson turned a Murphy pass into number eight, and Wallace scored number nine with a tremendous shot. James Manual made it double figures before Black scored the goal of the afternoon when, rather than watch and freeze, he raced out from defence to blast home an eleventh. In the final minute, Rovers saved face a little when they pulled another goal back following a goalmouth melee.

30. The second round of the Minor Cup saw old friends North Eastern as the visitors. North Eastern fielded a stronger eleven than their previous visit and were confident in redressing the heavy defeat sustained earlier in the season. The crowd became ill at ease as the visitors attacked dangerously early on; however, Rangers gradually gained the upper hand and by half-time held a 2-1 lead. John Manual popped through Berwick's opening goal and added a second before the visitors pulled a goal back following a hotly disputed free kick on the edge of the box. Berwick monopolised play for most of the second half. Five minutes after the restart Murphy scored a third, and a few minutes later McFarlane latched onto the end of the visiting keeper's throw-out to blast home number four. The Tynesiders then got a look-in and following a long throw-in they scored a second with an easy shot. However, James Manuel, out on the left, took up a Murphy pass and played his way into the goalmouth where he secured Rangers' passage into to the next round with a close-range shot.


13. A break from cup duty saw Rangers travel to East Linton to play a return friendly. Berwick scored inside the first five minutes after which the home defence battened down the hatches. It took until the final quarter before Rangers finally broke their opponent's line, when they added six more goals to East Linton's one.

20. For the second year running, Berwick were in luck's way regarding the draw for the third round of the Minor Cup, with another home draw, this time against Burradon Athletic. The pitch was hard and icebound, but both teams battled away regardless. After twenty minutes' play, Murphy opened the scoring for Berwick. However, just three minutes later a brisk attack by the visitors saw their outside-right level the score. Half-time indications pointed to a close struggle with the score at 1-1, but Berwick had other ideas. On the restart, Rangers soon found an opening and Bryson put Berwick back in front. Burradon fought back, but then Manuel added a third from a fine Murphy cross before Campbell created the opening for Murphy to notch a fourth. This rapid pace told on the visitors, who now had no earthly chance of equalising, much less of winning, and from this point on the game lost its edge. Berwick attacked for some fifteen minutes, with slight intermissions, with any raids on the part of the visitors scarcely going beyond the centre line. Manuel added number five after following up a shot by Bryson. Murphy added a sixth and, five minutes from time, Bryson completed the rout and secured a place in the semi-finals.

27. Trafalgar proved a tougher encounter when they defeated Rangers 4-3 in a friendly on February 27th. However, the close score did not reflect the play, as a tired Rangers side were well and truly beaten after a late burst of pace from the Tynesiders. After a spell of early pressure by the visitors, Rangers opened the scoring when Rhind sent in a 20-yard free kick through the goalkeeper's legs. The referee gave the goal, but he was immediately surrounded by the Trafalgar men, who had tried similar tactics unsuccessfully before, and the decision was reversed. However, on the half-hour mark, Campbell sent in a neat cross to Bryson, and he coolly slotted home. Justice was done, but not for long, as ten minutes later Morton scored for the visitors with a cracking shot from the left. Rangers regained the lead ten minutes after the interval when Lowrey was prevented from clearing his line, and Campbell rushed the ball into the net. After some even exchanges, Hope converted a high shot from Paton into a corner. The corner was cleared but only as far as Morton, who returned a low shot past Hope to bring the teams back level. At this point, Rangers began to tire, and Trafalgar took full advantage. Hastie made a blunder with a short back-pass which Irwin intercepted to give Trafalgar the lead and three minutes later, Herdman shot home a fourth. With time running out time, one last push by Rangers saw Murphy score from close range; the visitors claimed offside, but this time the referee allowed the goal to stand.


12. After a two-week break, a rejuvenated Rangers team returned to their winning ways in style when they took on recent Northumberland Senior Cup winners, Newcastle West End Reserves, on the Pier Field. There was little expectation of a Berwick win amongst the crowd, who witnessed a tremendous team performance. Skill was not required under the heavy ground conditions, and a strong and determined Rangers found sufficient strength to overcome what seemed an impossible task of reversing a 1-4 scoreline at half-time to win 7-5. A quick Newcastle counterattack secured the opening goal of the match when a breakaway by Dodds ended with Grierson baffling Hope. Two minutes later Berwick were level when Murphy found daylight with a stinging shot. Another goal by Dodds failed to quell Berwick's fire as they pressed forward, but Rangers were again caught on the break and Dixon added number three for the West End. Cruel luck saw Manuel strike the bar with a fine shot before Cattell scored a fourth for the Tynesiders. After the change of ends, Rangers went off at a lively pace and began to rain shots on the West End goal. Manuel, with a tame shot, caught Ward by surprise when the slow rolling ball took a turn and went through the goal with little effort. Murphy reduced to the deficit to one with a hard-earned goal after a series of corners and, a minute later, the excitement amongst the crowd was raised when the same player levelled the score. Ward then denied McFarlane and Manuel with tremendous saves, but failed to thwart Murphy, who gave Rangers the lead. The West Enders made a determined fight back before Manuel again hit the woodwork with a high shot and Makins dropped in a cross from which Murphy converted into goal number six. Rhind put the game out of reach with the seventh after good work by Wallace and with only two minutes remaining a good run up field by Cattell ended with the West End scoring their fifth.

19. Berwick Rangers travelled to Alnwick to play the semi-final of the Northumberland Minor Cup against Alnwick Working Men's Club at their ground situated in Howling Lane. The ground was aptly named as the howling crowd of over 500 gave the Berwickers a noisy reception. Alnwick were under strength with their captain, Taylor, missing from their line-up. The home side had never fallen in a cup-tie to the Rangers and were in no mood for change. However, "football" was left at home for the day as both teams played a system of man-play with many old scores to settle. Rangers opened the scoring after only three minutes when a defensive clearance was intercepted by Makins and played on for Rhind, who placed a perfect cross into the goalmouth for Manuel to head home. Alnwick began to take control, and it was no surprise when, from a fine cross by Brewis, Thompson beat Hope to level. However, Rhind caused a stir when he forced the ball home from within a goalmouth melee to give Rangers a 2-1 half-time lead. Berwick had slightly the better of the second half exchanges. Bryson sent in a twisting shot, which Thompson fumbled; Wallace and Murphy raced in to challenge the keeper and, whilst he was distracted, Murphy headed through a third goal much to ire of the crowd. Rangers ran out eventual winners 3-1, but Alnwick lodged a protest because four of the Berwick team had played in competitions at Shielfield during the close season. A written statement signed by five persons, who alleged to have witnessed the said players playing during July last, was the principle evidence. The statement emanated from Spittal and was another instance of the club's nearest friend being their greatest enemy.

A meeting of the Northumberland Football Association was held at Thomson's Cafe on the Bigg Market, Newcastle. After lengthy discussion, the Association maintained the charge, but only against George Bryson, whose name had appeared in the local press as playing during the prohibited time, and the teams, with his exception, were ordered to replay the tie at Alnwick.

26. Science & Art made their second visit of the season for a match played under atrocious weather conditions. Goals from Wallace, James Manuel and Campbell, put Rangers 3-0 in front by half-time in a very one-sided affair. However, the tables were turned for a short while after the interval, before two of the visiting players left the field due to a heavy downpour of sleet, and a few minutes later the match was cut short at the request of both captains.


2. An under-strength Berwick Rangers team took on Blyth in a return friendly on a wind-swept pitch. At the last minute, it was discovered that several of the first team were unable to travel, and seven substitutes were quickly found, while the eleventh position was filled by Gordon, a Blyth man. Despite the fact that they were to oppose a team many times stronger than themselves, Berwick rose wholeheartedly to the occasion, holding Blyth at bay for the opening twenty minutes, after which the home team ran into a four-goal half-time lead. Cassidy opened the scoring after Condie had played him clean through. Condie then tested Hope with a fierce shot before J. Morris added a second. A few minutes later, it was three when the ball was deflected into the net off a Berwick player, following a goalmouth melee, and G Morris added the fourth just before the break. The change of ends had a marked effect on proceedings with Rangers now aided by the wind; however, they could not find a way through the home defence and with no further scoring the game ended in a comfortable victory for Blyth.

9. In the replay of the Minor Cup semi-final, Berwick Rangers travelled with two reserves – Hastie filling in the void at the back in place of Manuel and James Campbell standing in the breach for the suspended George Bryson. Alnwick, meanwhile, were back to full strength with the return of their captain, Taylor, and the inclusion of Calvert at the back. The game was advertised to start at 2.15 pm, at which time the Berwick team was on the field, but there was no sign of the referee. It was another hour before the referee, Mr. James Oliver, who, as a rule, was always punctual, arrived. He stated that he had never been informed of the kick-off time, which was the duty of the Alnwick secretary. From the kick-off, the Alnwick men resorted to rough tactics, and Rangers were not slow in adding fuel to the fire, in consequence of which the referee gathered both teams together, and cautioned them as to the future use of rough play. The first half was an even affair. Alnwick opened the scoring in the 15th minute with Rangers levelling the score just before half-time. After the re-start, Berwick attacked the Alnwick goal in determined fashion and soon found an opening for a second goal. However, Alnwick, cheered on by the echo of the howling crowd, were back on level terms twenty minutes later. There seemed no stopping the home side now and it came as no surprise when they eventually scored a late third to win the match. After such a rough encounter, it was not surprising to see many cripples leaving the field at full time including Wallace, who sustained a dislocated shoulder despite playing on. To add insult to injury, the Alnwick howlers kept up their storm of abuse on the Berwick players, several of whom were struck by missiles thrown from the crowd.

After the match, Berwick lodged a protest regarding certain irregularities in the arrangements that did not conform to the laws of the Association. There were no touchlines marked off. No enclosure around the ground, and the fact that the game did not kick-off until an hour and a half after the advertised time due to the late arrival of the referee. After another meeting, the Northumberland Football Association upheld Berwick's protest and the semi-final was to be replayed for the third time at Alnwick over the Easter holiday weekend.

15. Berwick Rangers had already arranged to play Willington Athletic on Tyneside on Good Friday and, with the semi-final against Alnwick to be played just twenty-four hours later, the sceptics doubted Rangers' chance of cup progression. Berwick, who were not fully represented due to several players unable to make the journey, received a sound 4-1 beating, before travelling to Alnwick to sort out the vexed point as to who was to enter the final stage of the Minor Cup, after an overnight stay on Tyneside.

16. As was expected, the pace was fast and furious throughout when Alnwick and Berwick Rangers met for the third time. Berwick opened the scoring when James Manuel found space in the fifth minute. Then a sharp hailstorm, followed by snow, lashing in the face of the defending Rangers, let Alnwick back into the match. This pleased the sceptics immensely, and Alnwick took full advantage of the situation. With seven minutes of the half remaining, they levelled the score through Taylor and then took the lead in the last minute when Hastie had the misfortune to put the ball into his own net following a well-placed corner. The snowstorm had ceased by the time the second half had started, and Berwick laid siege on the Alnwick goal. After several close calls, Murphy forced home the equaliser following a goalmouth melee. The onslaught continued and, ten minutes from time, McFarlane hit an unstoppable shot between the posts to give Rangers the lead, and ultimately the final prize. At full time, an angry Alnwick crowd surrounded the Berwick players, with lengthy scuffles being fought out, and but for the intervention of some of the Working Men's Club players the Berwickers would have fared badly. A reporter of the day said, "It is disgraceful that players should be handled thus by the spectators, and many of the players will carry mementoes of the game for several weeks." Inevitably, Alnwick lodged yet another protest, again about a Rangers' player, but with the final due to be played on Easter Monday, it could not possibly be considered until after the match had been played.

18. The Northumberland Minor Cup Final between Godfrey and Berwick Rangers was played at Alnwick Working Men's Club's ground at Howling Lane on Easter Monday, after a request to use the Alnwick Cricket Ground had been refused. At the last moment, the team had to be reorganised after the non-arrival of Alex Black. John Carr, an older member of the club, came to the rescue, and James Campbell took the place of the excluded Bryson. More than 1000 spectators lined the ropes with a rail excursion from Newcastle and a host of people from Berwick amongst the crowd. As was expected, Godfrey received the advantage of the Alnwick contingent. The start was delayed by a few minutes due to the secretary of the NFA informing the Berwick captain that the protest lodged by Alnwick was not yet settled and would it be brought before them on Wednesday. This meant that if Berwick won the match and the protest from Alnwick was upheld then Berwick would be disqualified from the competition entirely, and possession of the medals would be settled between Godfrey and Alnwick. It was half-past four when the game finally began. Winning the toss, Godfrey won and chose to play up the hill and into the sun. Berwick kicked off but lost possession immediately. The Newcastle men made straight for goal where one of their forwards scored with a superb shot. From the kick-off, Rangers bore down on their opponent's goal and, after several attempts, forced the ball home only for the goal to be disallowed for offside. Berwick, however, kept up the momentum and equalised from the foot of James Manuel. After a spell of end-to-end football, Carr dispossessed one of the Godfrey full backs, dashed downfield, and scored a second goal for Berwick amid well-earned applause. The fast pace continued, but it was the Berwickers who always came up best when an opportunity presented itself. Rangers were causing no end of trouble down the right wing and in the 20th minute Murphy, who had been unlucky on a few occasions, scored after a superb through ball by Carr. The Tynesiders' front line lacked in shooting power but, when they did break through, they were met by a strong Berwick defence. Godfrey pressed after the interval but were caught on the break and Rangers scrambled home a fourth. The Godfrey defence now looked insecure, and McFarlane took advantage of the situation when he headed home a fifth from a James Campbell cross. The blistering pace began to tell on the Tynesiders and they now rarely proved a danger. A shot by Murphy rebounded off the woodwork into the path of James Manuel, whose return effort grazed the underside of the crossbar on its way in for goal number six. Towards the end, Godfrey were awarded a free kick for a handball offence and a well-placed kick earned them their second of the match. However, it was scant consolation as it was Berwick who were to lift the Minor Cup – or was it?

Because of the second Alnwick protest, club president Peter Cowe travelled to Newcastle to face the committee of the Northumberland FA along with James Manuel. Alnwick claimed that Rangers had played an unregistered player – namely John Manuel. There were three Manuels connected with the Rangers - brothers James, John and Alex. The Working Men's Club officials claimed that John had played in the first semi-final tie. Rangers stated that this was not the case. John was not a registered player at that time, but James was a regular player and being brothers there was a strong physical resemblance, particularly when they were apart. However, after much deliberation, Alnwick lost their protest and Rangers kept the Minor Cup.

23. After their humiliating defeat at the hands of Berwick Rangers earlier in the season, Newcastle West End Reserves had been thirsting for revenge and a chance to wipe out the memory. For the game, played at St James' Park on April 23rd, Rangers fielded their strongest side and looked in the peak of condition, but matters proved otherwise. Three gruelling matches in the previous week had made a greater demand on the team than first thought and Berwick slumped to a 5-1 defeat. Sim opened the scoring for the West End when he beat Hope in a one-on-one five minutes from the start, and midway through the half Dixon provided the opening for Grierson to notch Newcastle's second. However, despite being under constant pressure, Rangers managed to reduce the deficit when Bryson scored just before half-time. The West End continued to dominate after the break with Sim just missing before Cattell crossed for Grierson to score again. Grierson sent a shot just over the bar before Cattell added a fourth, and a few minutes later Anderson crossed for the same player to notch a fifth.

30. The curtain came down on the club's most successful season to date with a benefit match against Dock View Harriers, held on the Shielfield ground, for Andrew "Banzar" Wallace, injured in the Minor Cup semi-final at Alnwick. Neither team fielded full strength sides with Rangers' players Makins and Bryson turning out for the Harriers. Berwick started the match facing the wind, but still had their fair share of the game; the Harriers wasted their chances through poor finishing. McLean opened the scoring for Berwick on 25 minutes; however, two quick goals by Makins gave the Harriers a 2-1 interval lead. On the change of ends and wind advantage, Rangers hemmed the Harriers in their own half. Nevertheless, it took Rangers fully thirty minutes to breakdown the Dockers defensive tactics when King levelled the score and, on the stroke of time, the same player registered the winner with a smart shot into the top corner of the net. Wallace received £5 as the result of the game and a subscription collected from his fellow sportsmen.